Friday, April 12, 2013

Response to Course Materials 8

Perhaps I am doomed to have boring post titles from now on.  Well, no matter.  What have we done recently?

With Spring Break in the middle, I can hardly remember what we did before break.  I mean, I recall there were quite a few interactions with Ceremony in one way or another, but I cannot remember the specifics.  I believe we had time to read in class for many a day, which means there really isn't much to say for those days.  We read Ceremony.  La dee dah.  I was super worried about the reading test though.  I mean, it turns out that no, I didn't need to be, but the book seemed so long and the whole idea was basically just a little intimidating.  I really should have been more worried for the annotations.  I had expected them to take some time, but not that long!  The book was extremely enjoyable, though, and annotating allowed us many things to observe so I suppose I cannot be too upset.  We then discussed the book after reading some articles and such.  I still believe that it would have been better if we were given some of this information before we annotated, it would have made our lives a little easier.  I mean, how were we to know that "Ts'eh" means "water"?  There are some things that I think would be more meaningful if we knew the stories or the culture better.

Anyway, what else have we worked on?  We started reading Fifth Business, which is our final class reading this year.  That's actually a pretty strange thought.  We're so close to being finished with school already.  And that's a scary thought!  But I digress.  We don't have to annotate this time, but I might put in a few sticky notes if I find the need; I may have things to remind myself of in the book.  I'm not sure if I really see how everything we talked about in terms of Jung's psychoanalytic theories are related to the book, but I may be spotting a few points at the moment?  At any rate, I did like that discussion, even if some of it was a review of my Psychology class.  And I love talking about archetypes.  I don't know why; I've always found them interesting to read about.  I've spent so much time on tvtropes before just reading about different archetypes in stories.  I guess I just like to read about random things.  More on the topic of Fifth Business.  I don't like it.  I mean, it seems like it'll be okay, but when I don't like the main character, I can't really appreciate the book as much.  It's why I wasn't too fond of To Kill a Mockingbird.  Because I didn't really like Scout very much.  But hopefully I'll grow to like Fifth Business more.  The summaries we get about it make me want to like it.  I just don't know if I can.  At any rate, I'm looking forward to reading more.

No comments: