Sunday, February 10, 2013

Rosenstern and Guildencrantz

Yeah, so that was a terrible attempt at an interesting blog title.  But that essentially sums up what we did...

So first we finished Hamlet.  I loved loved LOVED Tennant's Hamlet.  Except I didn't really like the Ophelia.  She wasn't quite what I was imagining for Ophelia.  (Side note: Does anyone else have a really hard typing the name "Ophelia"?  I can't ever seem to get it right.)  The last version that we saw, with the genderbent Polonius and Horatio was weird.  I mean, I didn't understand it.  At all.  I am intrigued though.  I kind of want to sit down and watch the whole thing.  I did enjoy the Horatio and Hamlet scene at the end.  I was kind of hoping that by changing the gender, they'd make it better for a kiss to take place (though I resent the fact that because it's a straight couple, it's more reasonable to show them kissing).  But I digress...

After finishing everything on Hamlet, we've been reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.  It's certainly... interesting.  I'm finding a lot of things catching my attention, but at the same time, I'm feeling like I'm missing a lot as well.  It's really quite confusing, but our occasional pauses help to work certain things out.  It kind of reminds me of when we first started reading The American Dream because we had no idea what we were getting into and we didn't understand what's going on.  Except this has a little bit of understandable plot because scenes are taken from Hamlet - and then elaborated, of course.  It's like a spin-off, only one that changes how we see the entire thing as a whole?  I don't know but it's certainly interesting.  I can't wait to finish it!

1 comment:

Mackenzie Desautel said...

Martina, I also agree that the last version of Hamlet we watched was weird. However, I didn't like how Horatio was a girl because I think it changed the play around too much for Horatio's purpose. The kiss they shared threw me off because wasn't he suppose to just love Ophelia? I also liked how you compared R & G to The American Dream. They are so similar because both are absurdest plays with hidden meanings. I think as we have annotated and discussed, these meanings have become more visible and I am starting to like this play more and more.